Yes, I know it's been a near eternity since I've blogged. BAD ME! Ok? I just hope I haven't lost all of my readership.
So, here is something on my mind. I was recently made the ward music chairperson. That means I get to be in charge of the music for Sacrament meetings etc. So, I also am supposed to find people to do musical numbers.
Now, of course I appreciate talent and such, but I would much rather have people with willing hearts, kwim? I would love for a family to get up and sing their favorite song about Jesus, or someone who hasn't played the piano in ages but wants to work on their talent again play something for us. I wish some people would understand that a special musical number is not a talent show. It's a way to express your testimony of the gospel through music.
2 weeks ago I sent around a sign-up sheet to the different groups asking them to let me know if any of them or their family members would want to do a musical number. Only one person signed up and she admitted that she thought about erasing it because I probably knew I could call on them at any time. This totally bummed me out! I want people to know it's ok if you can't sing. It's about the spirit you bring to the meeting through your testimony.
So, I challenge everyone reading this to go to your ward music person and offer your family to sing a children's song in Sacrament meeting. It would make that person's life a lot easier, and you as well as those in your ward will be blessed for your efforts!
2 comments:
When I was given that calling the Bishopric drove home the point that the musical number is supposed to add to the meeting, to contribute to it and invite the spirit. We had a "talent show" problem in the ward before we moved in, I guess. Or I just hadn't been there long enough to catch on. Anyway, I was encouraged to ask them, "Would you please contribute to our sacrament meeting with a musical number" and not ask them to "perform a musical number," hoping that would help people understand what it is they are really doing. For those that took on the talent show mentality, there wasn't much I could do, but the phraseology even made me look at musical numbers differently.
You probably already know all of this. Sorry. It's been a long time since my hubby or I have done a musical number...I'll call our chairperson today. :)
You are an inspirational writer -- I'll do it this sunday!
Post a Comment