Swidget 1.0

Sunday, August 16, 2009

COUPONS!!!




Ok, I think I've become a coupon nerd. Yes, that's right! I am a coupon nerd. What else do you call someone who subscribes to the newspaper simply to qualify for 5, yes FIVE, Sunday papers? I know ladies who get even more than that! Pretty impressive, eh?

That's not the best of it! I want to share what I bought last week and let you decide for yourself if coupons are the way to go. Now, please keep in mind I've been doing this since March, so I have a pretty good coupon collection.

Ok, in the 5 transactions I had at Albertsons this week (you have to do multiple transactions sometimes for the coupons) this is what I bought.

*7 boxes GM Cinnamon Toast Crunch
*10 boxes GM Honey Nut Cheerios
*10 boxes GM Kix
*1 box GM Cookie Crisp
*2 boxes Bisquick
*3 Best Foods Mayo bottles (you know, the bigger ones)
*3 boxes cereal bars
*4 boxes fruit snacks
*5 packages Pillsbury refrigerated cookie dough
*3 52-load bottles of Tide
*2 8-count packages of Bounty paper towels
*11 boxes Puffs Tissue (65-72 count)
*36 (in 3 packages) rolls of Charmain toilet paper
*Asparagus
*2 packages baby carrots

Ok, here is the math. I bought 67 items. This totaled $94.23 before sales tax ($8.47). Now, the carrots and asparagus were bought on sale, but not with a coupon, so I'll subtract those out as well. Now we're to $90.57 and 64 items. That is $1.41 PER ITEM! How crazy is that?

Are you ready for this huge number? I'm going to tell you how much money the coupons took off. Including preferred savings: $236.47 WHAT!!! That insanity! I would never have fathomed saving so much. How exciting is this? I was curious to see how many coupons I used and the actual coupon total is $88.85 A little more believable, but still!

I pay less than $20 a month for the newspaper, and I'm saving nearly $90 AND building my food storage at the same time? We will not need to buy cereal for about 3 months, we're good on laundry detergent for the next 18 months if not much longer. Also, I'll probably not have to buy more mayo in over a year. Isn't this awesome? I'm totally geeking out about it ;)

5 comments:

Moores said...

I love coupons too! They are the best!

Benny Boo and Linsey Lou said...

I was right with you with the coupon shopping! I spent $300 on $800 worth of food on my last visit. It was so amazing! I can't do it as much anymore since the discovery of my sons food allergies, so I cancelled the paper and try to collect coupons here and there for things that we can use. I'm starting to find new resources, so I hope I can get back on the wagon! Congrats! That's awesome! It feels so cool when you watch your total get smaller and smaller at check out! I love it!

David and Alisha said...

Did you get the FREE $25 in groceries this week?! So AWESOME! Coupon nerds unite!

Amy said...

That is great! I used to coupon shop all of the time, but got out of the hang of doing it. I really need to get back into it. My kids are complaining about the lack of cereal options since I stopped doing it. I also just had to buy dish soap and laundry detergent for the first time in FOREVER, so it's def time.

Laura said...

it feels like you've won the lotterly, doesn't it?! I love couponing. When you schedule your week around when they restock the shelves at the store, then you will have earned the title "Queen coupon nerd"!