Actually, I have been taking part in some studies through the UofU. Well, I have taken part in one, and will take part in another one here this next week.
The one I did this week was a study on endometriosis, which is tissue that generally belongs in the uterus, but isn't and causes a lot of pain and even infertility. I don't know if I have it or not. I was in the control part of the study. Just your average Jane ;) Anyway, it was kind of cool to get some medical procedures done without having to be really sick. I had my first (and hopefully only) MRI as part of the study. I had to lay flat on my back, in a teeny tiny tube for about an hour and a half.
As they were moving me into the tube, I couldn't help but think about the movie Incredibles when they are putting Bob Parr into the small hole and he doesn't fit.

Copyright Disney/Pixar. All Rights Reserved
Luckily, the tube was a bit bigger than I am. While I was in the tube, I heard all sorts of noises. They changed often enough to startle me every time. I wonder if the techs were having fun watching me jump. I also got to listen to some Classical music throughout the procedure. That was so nice! I could have picked any kind of music, but I knew that Classical would be the most calming, and I needed that.
I was at the hospital for five and a half hours to do this study. Luckily for me, they are going to pay me $150 for taking part. WOOHOO!!! I'm saving this money up for a trip this summer.
The second study I just signed up for today. It's a study to see the effect of Aspirin in trying to conceive as well as in pregnancy. I'll get some really cool tools to use and all the supplies, including pregnancy tests, will be free. Not only free, but I will be PAID to do this. Really? Possibly get pregnant quicker and have an easier pregnancy and get paid to do it? YAY! I wonder where I can find other studies to be a part of ;)
2 comments:
I remember seeing signs up about the aspirin study in my OB's office. I think it's great that you are participating in this... and getting paid too! ;) My fingers are crossed for you, hope you have some exciting news soon. :)
That's so cool that you are making money for doing that kind of stuff! Hopefully you'll find out all is well with you instead of finding out something else.
I saw that scene on the Incredibles yesterday and laughed really hard, so it was fun to see it on your blog!
Post a Comment